by tammy thornberry
Big Horn County Commissioner Felix Carrizales is on tap to give the opening speech at an open house for the new building on the Big Horn County Fairgrounds. The event will be held Sunday, June 28 at 1 p.m. Commissioner John Hyde suggested Carrizales should be the person to cut the ribbon for the opening too, but a decision has not yet been made, according to Fair Manager Vangi Hackney.
Hackney reported a grant request for $20,000 has been applied for from the Sykes Foundation. She said the money would be used to purchase equipment and other items to be used inside the new building.
The commissioners discussed vendor booths that are still available for rent during fair week including one that is air-conditioned with an outside window for sales. Interested parties should call the Fair Office at 568-2968.
In other business:
- Bill Crampton of Park County has been temporarily assigned to cover the Big Horn County Public Health Nurse Department due to the resignation of Kim Cowan. The state health department made the appointment while it searches for a permanent replacement.
- A grant modification from the Forest Service Cooperative Law Enforcement was approved by the Commission.
- A spraying invoice for the Firewise project was presented to the board by the County Weed and Pest division. The commissioners will request that Chris Weydeveld of the department attend a meeting with the Greybull Town Council to ask if it will pay half of the expense.
- Weed and Pest board member Kris Robertson resigned from her position in the Hyattville area. As per a petition signed by local residents, June Booth will step into Robertson’s position. The term of office runs through December of 2016.
- Due to the sale of Atwood Family Funeral Directors’ business, $45,000 has been transferred to purchase a coroner’s vehicle. Previously Del Atwood used his own business vehicle to transport deceased individuals. Although Atwood sold the business, he continues to serve as the Big Horn County coroner.
- County Maintenance Supervisor Fred Werner reported replacement of the roof of the Land Planning building is slated to begin the week after the Fourth of July. Zeller Construction, Inc., was determined to have submitted the lowest bid for the facia and soffit project on the library building in Basin. Werner said he is still waiting to receive invoices for the jail roofing project.
- Commissioner Hyde said he met with County Attorney Kim Adams 10 days prior to the June 16, 2015, meeting concerning the contract between the County and the Town of Lovell pertaining to the Annex building. It hasn’t been finalized yet; however, it was decided the county will continue the town’s contract with a Lovell service for cleaning of the building.
- Aaron Linden of HUB International gave a report on property insurance coverage. He said the renewal cost is down a bit.
- A 24-hour malt beverage permit requested by Mark Garrison for the Horseshoe Bend Marina for July 3, 4; Aug. 1 and Sept. 5, 2015.
- Sue Taylor of Grow Big Horn County handed out copies of a “Big Horn County Business Directory” questionnaire that has been distributed to businesses in the county.
- The next regular meeting of the Big Horn County Commissioners will be held July 7, 2015.