Shootout cancelled for next year

by nathan oster

Basketball fans should enjoy the upcoming South Big Horn County Shootout because it will probably be the last one for awhile.

Nolan Tracy, the activities director for Big Horn County School District No. 3, announced that the event will not be scheduled in 2014-15, due to changes in the winter sports season dates that will take effect next year.

The Wyoming High School Activities Association’s board of director last month approved on second reading a proposal to push the start date for boys and girls basketball, as well as wrestling, to the Monday after Thanksgiving.

By doing so, it effectively shortened the seasons.

“We thought about changing it to another date, but couldn’t get it worked out,” said Tracy.

Greybull teams have traditionally gone to tournaments in Glenrock and Wright on the second competitive weekend of the season.  Attempts to get those tournaments pushed back a week were unsuccessful.

As thing stand right now, Tracy said Burlington — which has been one of the co-hosts of the Shootout in recent years — plans to do a smaller scale tournament the second weekend, but would it would primarily involve 1A teams.

So the Buffs will go to Wright and Glenrock in 2014-15 — and then pick up a few games at a tournament in Big Piney over the New Year’s break to make up for losing the Shootout.

%d bloggers like this: