Powers posts AQ in 100 meters
by nathan oster
Greybull High School didn’t take a full squad to the Meeteetse Invitational and that was reflected in the final team standings, as the Buffs placed eighth in the girls division and ninth in the boys division.
Coach Jeff Sukut said he was missing kids for a variety of reasons — including a Spanish Club trip to Cinco de Mayo festivities in Denver — but that those who did make the trip to Meeteetse performed well.
The Buffs who earned individual wins in Meeteetse included McKenna Powers, who won the 400 meter dash and triple jump, and Kyler Flock, who turned in another quality time en route to a triumph in the 100-meter dash.
Powers was the only GHS athlete who qualified for state in a new event, adding the 100 meters to her state itinerary. She ran a 13.61, good for third place in an event in which just two-hundreds of a second separate the top three runners.
In other meet highlights:
• Clancy Stoffers placed fifth in the 3,200 meters, running a 12:27.
• Calder Forcella again placed in both throwing events, taking fourth in the shotput with a heave of 41 feet, 2 inches and third in the discus with a personal-best effort of 142 feet, 4 inches.
• Cade Dooley placed fourth in the high jump, clearing 5 feet, 8 inches.
• Aftin DeRosa ran a personal best in the 100 meters, running a 14.25, which was good for 12th.
• In her winning effort in the 400 meters, Powers came within two-tenths of a second of qualifying for state. She ran a 63.75. The qualifying standard is 63.56.
• Powers and Sydney Eckman finished second and third, respectively in the 800 meters. Less than a second separated them, as Powers finished finished in 2:40.74 and Eckman in 2:40.95.
Sukut said it was “a big meet. There were 13 teams, which was a lot for that venue. But the weather was nice and there were some good performances.”
The Buffs will compete at the Bobcat Invitational on Friday in Thermopolis. It’ll be the final meet of the regular season, as teams will head to Lander and the Class 2A West Regional at the end of next week.
GIRLS TEAM SCORES — Cody 134, Powell 77, Burlington 66, Thermopolis 58.5, Shoshoni 53, Wyoming Indian 48, Lovell 46.5, Meeteetse 41, Greybull 41, Rocky Mt. 34, Wind River 12, Ten Sleep 9, Riverside 6.
100 METERS — 3, McKenna Powers, 13.61.
400 METERS — 1 McKenna Powers, 1:03.75.
800 METERS — 2, McKenna Powers, 2:40.74. 4, Sydney Eckman, 2:40.95.
TRIPLE JUMP — 1, McKenna Powers, 32-6 ¾.
SHOT PUT — 8, Hannah Good, 26-0 ½.
BOYS TEAM SCORES — Thermopolis 93, Cody 87, Lovell 68.5, Dubois 61, Rocky Mt. 60.5, Shoshoni 52, Powell 42, Burlington 41, Greybull 39, Meeteetse 31, Wyoming Indian 25, Wind River 24, Riverside 20.
100 METERS — 1, Kyler Flock, 11.77.
200 METERS — 3, Kyler Flock, 24.25.
3,200 METERS — 5, Clancy Stoffers, 12:27.49.
400 METER RELAY — 6, Greybull (Mason Stebner, Dawson McEwan, Cade Dooley, Dustin Fox), 49.95.
HIGH JUMP — 4, Cade Dooley, 5-10.
SHOT PUT — 4, Calder Forcella, 41-2.
DISCUS — 3, Calder Forcella, 142-4.